bluesilverkdg: (Default)
"I know that 2009 was pretty horrid for a lot of people. One way we might make 2010 a bit better is to spread some love around. So if you care to reply to this post I will give you a response of something I like about you.

If you like participating in these sorts of things and want to repost this in your LJ that'd be fun, too."
bluesilverkdg: (Default)
Wishing a great big happy birthday to my best friend in the world, [ profile] headbanger118 .

I threw her a little party on Saturday. She got a gift from [ profile] captainsblog and [ profile] plantmom that was a very nice surprise!

Hilarity always ensues. Always.

Singing "Happy Birthday", whilst Terri cuts the cake.

I was actually there! That's [ profile] nonspecific in the kittycathat.

It's a birthday cut. )
bluesilverkdg: (Default)
I am uber-frustrated. I went to sign into MySpace tonight for the first time in about three months. I can't remember my password. So I sent three requests for them to e-mail my password to me (or reset it, whatever it is that they do), and nada. I really couldn't give a flying flip less about actually logging into MySpace for what it is, but what I DO want is some pictures that are on there. I have a folder full of concert pics from shows I attended over the years. There's also a folder of "Young Kimmy" pictures that I'd like to be able to access. I want to move these folders to Facebook, but alas...I cannot.

So, I decided to try going into my Photobucket account(s) to get the pictures there. Again, can't remember my password(s). I have three Photobucket accounts, because used to be, you could only store 1000 photos and I was running out of room. I have evidently linked these accounts to e-mail addresses that I no longer use, remember or even know. *sigh*

Senility. It's not just for the old people anymore.

I wonder if any of you who are on my MySpace friends list could somehow e-mail me the entire folders of these pictures that I'm referring to? There are actually a bunch of pictures on there that I'd like to have, but I have no clue how to get to them. I have published most of them, at one time or another, on LJ. But we're talking about 3-4 years worth of shows that I'd need to try and sift through and that's a lot of work. Plus that was before I discovered what "tagging" was, so they're scattered all over the place.

And let's talk about kids these days. I kept hearing about this "singer" (and I use the term verrrry loosely) named Ke$ha with a dollar sign. This chick already has two strikes against her in my book. For one, superfluous and innapproprate punctuation in one's name really irks me (kind of like those misplaced umlauts that all the metal bands used to use), even when used ironically, which I'm pretty sure is not the case here. Furthermore, her hit "song" is called "Tik Tok." Misspelling the name of your song also irks me. But, I decided to try and keep an open mind. She looks a little like Britney Spears, and much as I am loathe to admit it, I don't totally dislike some of Britney's music. Yeah, I know. Please don't tell anyone. So, I checked out this misspelled song. Oh. My. God. Is this seriously what they're calling music these days? It's like she wanted to rap, but didn't know how, so she decided to try singing instead, but didn't know how to do that either, and it's just a very uncomfortable mix of the two. I really cannot think of one redeeming quality to talk about there. But evidently, it's some sort of hit on the Billboard Top 40 For the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.

In other news, the Pope is Catholic, cows eat grass, and it's snowing again in East Tennessee.


Jan. 2nd, 2010 12:51 pm
bluesilverkdg: (Snowflake)
And it's snowing. Again. I think this may be a long winter.
bluesilverkdg: (Default)
Goodbye and good riddance to 2009. While there were some good moments, the last half has truly been a nightmare and I cannot wait to get past it.

And that begs the question...

[Poll #1505561]

Personally, I think they both sound kind of awkward, although I'll probably go with "twenty ten." I don't know. It's a weird number.

So, happy New Year and stuff.
bluesilverkdg: (Default)

Dad and I made a snowman in front of their big window, so mom can see it from the sofa. I don't think I've seen him smile this much in a month. :-) He was like a little kid playing in the snow with me. Unfortunately, all the good wet, packing snow fell Friday night, and what we got last night was powdery and too fluffy to build a good snowman. I really wanted to build an igloo. Maybe next time. Like, twelve years from now when we get our NEXT big snow.

This little chapel in Madison County, NC is where my ex wanted us to get married, but it wasn't big enough to hold our massive guest list. It's a pretty spot though, and I hated that we didn't get to use it.

Betcha didn't know there were ski resorts in my neck of the woods, huh? Wolf Laurel, NC is ten minutes from my old house.

This is just around the corner from where I grew up. I often found scenes like this when I woke up in the morning, because we got a LOT of snow.


Dec. 11th, 2009 05:50 pm
bluesilverkdg: (Veggies)
I've not shared a recipe that I invented in a while, so I'll give y'all one. It's good if you like spicy vegetarian-type soups. And, as with all my make-believe recipes, you can totally modify it to fit your needs and taste.

3-4 potatoes, diced
3-4 stalks of celery, cut into bite-sized slices
One can Rotel tomatoes and chilis
Tomato juice (as much or little as you like)
Can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans, drained and washed)

Spices: I use the following, because I have and like them, but feel free to use whatever you like. Garlic powder, no-salt seasoning, cayenne pepper powder, powdered ginger, oregano, cumin, curry powder, turmeric. From the Indian grocery store, I use Garam Masala, but chances are good you may not have that one on hand unless you do a lot of Indian cooking.

I make a "broth" of the spices and boiling water, and cook the potatoes and celery until they're tender. At that point, add in the Rotel tomatoes, tomato juice (I use my mom's tomato juice that she cans from the garden, but store-bought would be fine, I'm sure), and chickpeas. Add a dash more seasoning if you like and let it simmer an hour or so.

That's it! It's pretty spicy, with the Rotels, the ginger, cayenne, etc. But if you had a stuffy nose or cold, this stuff would totally rock and I'm sure, cure what ails'ya.
bluesilverkdg: (Default)
OK, no mom news (hopefully on Wed., I'll have some), so I'm gonna ask you about my cats and see if anyone can figure this the heck out.

I did a really awful and irresponsible thing on Thanksgiving, but I swear it wasn't my fault. No, really. It was sleep deprivation and not having my wits about me (gee, I wonder why...)

So, normally when I come in, I drive into the garage, lower the door and come through the house like a normal person. But I realized on Thanksgiving Day that the garbage cans were still out, and had been at the curb all week. So I left the garage door up, brought in the garbage cans and then entered through the front door, rather than through the garage. And then I forgot to lower the door from inside the house. Do you see where this is going?

The boys wanted to go out in the garage, as they often do, and I just opened the door that goes from the house into the garage and let them out there. About, oh, 15-20 minutes passed and I was making something to eat, when I realized "oh. crap." I went running to the door, looked out, and sure enough, garage door is wide open. Fortunately, I found both boys right at the house. In fact, Trouble had not actually left the garage, although General was lounging on the sidewalk in front of the house. I was ever-so-grateful that since neither of them has been outdoors since I've had them, that they had the good sense to stick close to home. I scooped them both up and put them safely indoors while I lowered the garage door, then went about trying to find the girls. Both of them were huddled up underneath the futon like they were scared to death. I think maybe they'd looked out and seen the big, bad world, and declared they didn't want any part of it. Smart girls.

So, when Trouble and General came in from the great outdoors, they started hissing and growling at each other, and it eventually escalated to honest-to-God fighting. Because I seriously need a little more stress in my life, y'know? I finally had to separate them, because (a) I had to be up at 4:30 the next morning to get to the hospital and couldn't sleep for their yowling and (b) I was afraid they were going to hurt or kill each other. I kept General in my bedroom, where he normally sleeps and left Trouble out in the rest of the house. The following morning, they were still sort of stalking each other, but at least they could be in the same room without ripping each other to shreds. By the time I was ready to leave, they were tolerant of each other, so I felt OK leaving them in the same environment together. When I got home Friday night, they seemed sort of "meh." Not friendly by any stretch of the imagination, but they largely ignored each other. However, every now and then, a scuffle would break out and they'd be at it again. The weird thing is, even though Trouble is now much bigger, General was still quite obviously the Alpha cat, and when they'd playfight before, Trouble would always submit and General came out the victor. He never backed down. Since their little foray outdoors, General has been hiding like a little scared kitten and Trouble is quite obviously in control now. Why the power shift? I don't get how 15 minutes outside has changed the dynamic in our household THAT much.

My question is, do any of you have a clue as to what might have gone on? I'm wondering if they got a whiff of an un-spayed girl kitty? Or just the general smells of the outdoors? If that's the case though, I frequently leave the windows open to the screens, so they get smells of Outside. They're just not actually out IN it. And have any of you had a similar instance happen where all of a sudden a less powerful kitty suddenly overthrows the sitting government and takes power? It's just weird and I don't like it. General is almost 13 years old. Trouble is a year and a half, and nearly 20 pounds of solid muscle. I'm afraid he could hurt General (which had oddly never been a concern before, because General kept him in his place.) They're both neutered, so I don't know how it could be a testosterone thing, but they're driving me mad. last night, whenever Trouble would walk through the room, General would run and hide under the bed. It breaks my heart that he is scared to be out in his own home.


I want brothers to love each other again. :-/ I miss my boys getting along and being best friends. Will they ever get back to The Way We Were, or now that Trouble has established his dominance, is he gonna be keeping that title?

Cat people, advice please!!!
bluesilverkdg: (Default)
I have now had ANOTHER dream about Barrack Obama. I can see this is going the same route as the Clinton Years. I used to dream about him allll the time.

If you'll remember, a couple of months ago, I dreamed that he and I slept together in a governmental fraternity house.

This one was not quite so racy. [ profile] headbanger118 and I were attending a high school band, at a high school. (An undisclosed location?) Obama just sits down in the row in front of us, and I'm all "OMG OMG OMG OMG!!" So [ profile] headbanger118 says "well, TALK to him!" So I did. We were chit-chatting, totally blowing off the performance, and he was just so friendly. But then he started quizzing me about political history and I got some answers wrong, making me feel like a big dummy. I then switched the topic of conversation to music, and we had a blast. Finally the performance was over and we got up to mill around. I saw Michelle, so I went running up to give her a big hug. She was all "WTF are you doing, girl?" and very stiff when I hugged her. Maybe she didn't want a hug. Or maybe she knew I'd slept with her man. Either way, she was having none of it and basically left me standing there. De-NIED.

So I found Barry (we were on a major first-name basis by this time) again, and we shot the breeze some more. I have no idea where [ profile] headbanger118 had gone by this time. She'd probably gotten exasperated and left me. I promised I'd come to all his future speaking engagements (as IF!) and he promised to remember me. I think we might have done some sort of secret handshake at that point.

Not a bad dream at all, except for being dissed by Michelle. Sure beats the dream I had earlier, in which I'd gotten a DUI and had to be bailed out by my mom.
bluesilverkdg: (Default)

This is one of my favorite pictures of Oreo. She looks like she's doing an ad for Excedrin or something. I think that's pretty much how we both felt over her whole ordeal being "lost."

She finally came out from behind the bed, around 11 last night and ate some cat treats. I put down a can of food just for her and she scarfed almost the whole thing down. She's come out very cautiously a few times and I've gotten to pet her a bit, but I think it may be a while before she totally gets over the trauma. The other cats kept sniffing her like "where have YOU been?"

I'm still so happy to have my little floofball home!!!!
bluesilverkdg: (Default)
OREO IS HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The little rat had crawled down through the dryer vent (which is now securely closed off and cat-proof) and gotten up underneath the house. When we noticed that it was loose, ("we" being my mom, dad and I), that was a thought, but it just didn't seem plausible to me. But today, dad and I got into the crawlspace with a flashlight to explore. I thought I heard a very faint "mew", but was afraid to hope. Then I saw her little white fluff and realized she was indeed down there and very much alive.

She smells horrible and is quite dirty and freaked out, but otherwise, she's just fine. She is currently holed up behind my bed and probably won't come out for a day or so. I tried offering her some food, but she was much more interested in hiding for the time being, which is fine. I'm just so happy to have her home.

When I realized she was there, I started hyperventilating and could not get a breath, but I finally got it together, grabbed the cat carrier and went after her. She led us on quite the wild goose chase going from one end of the house to the other. She'd made a little nest out of insulation and had presumably been sleeping there for the last two nights. There was also a little puddle of water, so at least she had something to drink.

I cannot reasonably express the relief that I feel, although I won't soon forget it, because I have the battle scars to prove my efforts. She scratched me almost from head to toe when I was trying to hang onto her and get her into the carrier. I've got a gash on my cheek that goes all the way to my neck, my wrists, hands and fingers are totally shredded and another huge slash on my thigh where she actually ripped my jeans with her claws. Talk about one little angry girl, but hey, at least she's still got her spunk and sass!

Oreo snuggles up with me in bed every morning. She comes to my bedroom at about 4am and gets under the covers against my tummy or back and we sleep like that until about 6 or 7 am, when she wakes me up to eat breakfast. That has been our routine for years, and I have never had another kitty who snugs under the covers like that. She's always liked to be under things (like, oh...HOUSES, perhaps.) I was thinking today how she is my special little snugging kitty and how warm she keeps me on cold mornings. I am at a loss for words to express how very happy I am to have my precious little girl back with me!

Thank you all for your happy, positive thoughts, prayers, good vibes and hope. Evidently she's got a guardian angel kitty
bluesilverkdg: (Default)
I was hoping that my first post in a while might be a bit happier news, but unfortunately I have to report that I am completely distraught and panic-stricken.

Tuesday night, Oreo did not come out when I put down a can of food for the cats. I didn't think *that* much about it, because sometimes she holes up somewhere and sleeps really soundly. She has "disappeared" before, but always came out within a few hours. I remember one time a couple of years ago when I stayed up until about 5am looking for her, only to have her come slinking through the hallway an hour later. But when she didn't come out for breakfast the following morning (yesterday), I knew something was wrong. I looked everywhere for cabinets, drawers, closets, boxes, everywhere I could think to look. She was nowhere to be found. I've gone through the garage, and again, nothing. I walked and drove up and down the street, hoping against hope not to find her in the road, but again, nothing. (I did find a black and white cat that had been hit by a car near my house, but I'm 99% sure that it is short-haired and a boy.)

I don't understand this. I am SO super-diligent about keeping the cats safe. If they go to the garage (which I sometimes do let them do), I always do a nose count before I leave. I'm completely paranoid about anyone coming in and out my door and even have a sign on my door about making sure to watch for cats. I fear that she may be sick, hurt or even dead and has crawled in a little crevice somewhere that I cannot find her, because I can't fathom how she'd get outside. Anyone who has ever been to my house knows how crazy I am about watching the cats to keep them safe.

My dad's coming over today to help me look again, and I've been checking the local animal shelter just in case she did somehow get out and they've picked her up. I submitted a lost cat report with a picture of her, but I don't hold out much hope for that. She is so shy and timid, catching her would be next to impossible.

I was actually beginning to feel a little better, but this has just been so devastating and I have a really bad feeling that the outcome will not be good. Even if she is dead...which I hope against hope is not the case...I just want to KNOW. Wondering where or how she is, if she's out wandering lost, hungry and cold is absolutely killing me. Of all the cats, she is my baby, the one who is so totally dependent upon me. Thinking that she could be out on her own is just unbearable.
bluesilverkdg: (Breast cancer pink)
It is with a very heavy heart (and a tremendous sense of guilt) that I must report that I will NOT, in fact, be running in the Susan Komen 5K next weekend. There are several contributing factors, but all have combined to a perfect storm of just not being able to do it. I've got far too much on my plate right now to train properly (or even at all), and even if that wasn't the case, it has rained every. single. day. for weeks now. I can think of maybe two sunny days in the past month that we've had. Recently, it's not just been rainy, but cold, too. I'd reported a couple of weeks ago that my knee was acting up. Oddly, this is not the knee that I dislocated in 1993. That one is actually doing fine. This is the one that I injured when I was teaching (those teaching injuries can be a real bitch.) No, seriously, I was working with a class of preschoolers and in one of our music lessons, we were supposed to jump up to our feet, because we were flowers coming into bloom. Unbeknownst to me, the toe of my sandal was hooked underneath the rug, so when this flower jumped up, I was promptly brought right back down on my knee. It was so sudden, within a split second, that I didn't even have time to bring my hands down to break my fall or anything. Just *BAM* and I'm down on my knee. Our administrator had me rushed to the ER where I was x-rayed and examined. Nothing was immediately damaged, but it's given me problems ever since and often cracks and pops. I can't imagine that fall was good for it. Stepping down, whether on stairs or just off a curb is excruciating and sometimes I feel as if my knee is actually going to give out from under me, so I felt forced to stop what little bit of training I had done, because that seemed to really exacerbate the condition. Add the fact that I've been fighting a cold all week to this mix of "too much to do, sucky weather and bum knee" and I just don't see the race happening.

I'm extremely disappointed. I did one short race this summer , but otherwise I've not run a "real" road race in a while, and I was looking forward to this one, mainly since it's a cause so dear to my heart. I feel sort of powerless at this point though, and just don't think it could possibly happen.

So to those of you who were planning to pledge, I apologize. I do appreciate your generosity and willingness to help out. Maybe next year... :-/


Oct. 14th, 2009 03:19 pm
bluesilverkdg: (Misty and General snugs)
Very soon, I'm supposed to do something that I really, REALLY don't want to do. A year ago, when I had all the kitties to the vet for their shots and checkup, my doctor told me that General needed to have his teeth cleaned. He did have some noticeable yucky spots, and there were a couple of places on his gums which seemed overly red and inflamed. However, this checkup took place about two weeks after Sabrina's death which happened when...she was having her teeth cleaned. Now, I know the situations are completely different. Sabrina was asthmatic and had had respiratory issues her whole life. I knew going into the surgery that there was a risk with the sedation, and I had a really horrible feeling about it, but I still trusted the vet that it needed to be done.

General is healthy as a horse and at the age of nearly 13 still plays like a kitten. If you just looked at him or played with him, you'd never guess he was a "senior" cat. But the truth is, in January he will in fact, be 13 years old. There's a risk in sedating any cat, or well...anyone in general, animal or human. But age is a big factor in these things. Last year when the vet told me he needed to have his teeth cleaned, I said there was no way I could do it then. I'd *just* lost Sabrina, and to think that I could potentially be sentencing General to the same fate? No way. So, I was told that it wasn't *that* bad, I could wait a little while and see how he was doing at his next checkup.
The last time we were at the vets, which was just recently, he actually didn't see much change. In the past year, I've been getting them the expensive good cat foods, so I like to think that maybe that's helped. But I was reminded again that periodonatal disease in cats can lead to heart disease, discomfort when eating and a plethora of other ills. He asked if General ever drooled. Well, yeah...he drools a lot, but he always has. But he only drools when he's lying on my tummy, purring contentedly, and it comes from the front of his mouth, not the back area where the affected teeth are. He doesn't drool when he eats. He drools because he loves his mommy. He never has any trouble eating, and isn't dropping any weight. Well, that is actually kind of untrue. He had lost a bit at his last appointment, but that was good, as he was overweight before. He's gone from 17 to 15 pounds, which is more desirable and healthy for a cat his age. Thus far he's maintained the 15ish pound range for a while now and he looks fantastic. No more belly dragging the ground. I'm certain that the better cat foods have helped that.

So, this is my quandry. He's doing fine, at least outwardly, without the teeth cleaning. However, if he WAS hurting, it's not like he could tell me, y'know? I've heard that vets make a lot of money on teeth cleaning, and they often use scare tactics to pressure their clients into getting it done, even when it's not absolutely necessary. And it IS expensive, but if he truly needs to get it done, I will. I just wonder, is my vet being honest? And is the risk worth the potential benefit? He might (heaven forbid) die of natural causes in a couple of years, whether or not he had clean teeth. Or if I DO get them cleaned, it could extend his lifespan by another five or more years. I just don't know. And I'm so torn. I mean, I obviously want to do what's best for ALL my cats. The girls are no spring chickens either...they both just turned 12, but evidently their teeth are just fine and neither of them have any health problems whatsoever.

[ profile] headbanger118 has already said that she will go to the vet with me, if I do have it done. And I would sit in the waiting room for five hours, if I need to. No way I'm leaving him there by himself. I'm going back and forth and I just have no answers.

[Poll #1471242]
bluesilverkdg: (Default)
I'm at ETSU right now, working on a couple of assignments. In my online Ed Psycho class, we have to "interact" with each other by basically posting on message boards. It's all quite cozy, really.

Anyway, one student commented on how a former teacher would make up crossword puzzles incorporating their spelling words (although she did not use the word "incorporate.") However, she said "my teacher would make up crossword puzzles using our SPEELING words." Woah, what??! I'm quite sure that was just a typing error (wow, I hope it was a typing error), but seriously..check it over before you post it, people!!

Another one was discussing the "pro's and con's of research" and "it's importance in educational psychology."

Oh my GOD, just shoot me now. These people are going to be edjukatin our youth? Good grief.
bluesilverkdg: (Breast cancer pink)
My knee has been giving me FITS for the past week and a half. I was attempting to train for the Komen 5K and the next day, it felt like it just sort of blew out. I really want to do this race, so I'm going to try wrapping it and doing whatever I can to get it back to normal. A couple of you have already contacted me about pledging, which is really awesome. I hope to not be hobbling across the finish line on a busted knee!
bluesilverkdg: (Default)
Time for my once-weekly update, I suppose. I really want to write more, and I intend to, but right now it's just not really practical. So, there ya go.

If you're on my Facebook, which I think a whole bunch of you are, you'll see two things that are either going on or have gone on. Last night, I got to see the Decemberists in Asheville with [ profile] samuraigrrrl, [ profile] nonspecific, and [ profile] aikigrrl.
To say that they were amazing would be an understatement. If you like them or have considered liking them, I would highly recommend checking them out if possible. I was a little disappointed at the beginning, because they just came out and launched right into The Hazards Of Love, their latest CD...and they didn't stop. They literally played the whole CD from beginning to end, from what I could tell. I *like* the new CD just fine, but I wanted to hear some old stuff (I always want to hear "old stuff", no matter who I go to see.) But no need for me to have worried...they came back out after about a 15 minute intermission and basically did like a whole 'nother set of older songs, covers (Crazy On You by Heart, for example) and just basically jammed and improvised for a bit. At one point, Colin, the lead singer came down the aisle right beside me. I could've reached out and grabbed him, but I was not aggressive enough. Others were not so shy. He sat down in the audience, then went walking through the crowd back to the stage. They seemed to have a genuinely fun time playing together and the audience was really into it (notsomuch the security guard sitting at the bottom of the stage, who looked like he'd have much rather been at a rap concert. Or a monster truck show.) If you like the Decemberists or have any inclination to check them out, this guy caught the whole show in halfway decent quality.

So that was last night.

Before that, my dad and I took my mom out to eat for her birthday (she's now officially step closer to Social Security!) We had a lovely meal, but her big surprise is tomorrow. I'm getting ready to head out to the grocery store to shop for her birthday shindig, that she doesn't know is happening. I'm gonna stay at the cabin tonight, then get up at the crack of dawn to start cooking in the morning for her dinner, and I've somehow, yet again, managed to pull off a big birthday surprise. Or at least I have thus far. It's not happened yet, and there's every possibility that she could still blow it, but hopefully not.

Oh, I took my dad's Navy peacoat to the cleaners this week. It looks fabulous, and with the exception of a few very small holes (moth bites probably), it looks practically new. For the first time, ever..I'm actually kind of looking forward to cold weather, because I will hopefully be warm this winter, instead of my usual shivering, sniveling self. Otherwise, this was an incredibly stressful week. I've got a lot going on that I wish was not going on, decisions to make that I don't really want to have to deal with, and I'll update about it later, but that's for another post. For now, I have schoolwork to do, groceries to buy and parties to plan.

I leave you with the Henna Harem in the parking garage at the Civic Center in Asheville... Kara ([ profile] nonspecific), Lillie ([ profile] samuraigrrrl) me and Melody ([ profile] aikigrrl). All hennaheads, all different, yet equally lovely shades of red, which is pretty darned awesome.

bluesilverkdg: (Default)
I have like two seconds to update (OK, maybe not *that* little, but not much), because I'm at ETSU working on an assignment. Yeah, on a Sunday night. How motivated am I? Anyway, I just had to write about something that made me so very happy today.

For a while now I've been wanting a black peacoat. For one thing, I think they're just incredibly snazzy, and also, being wool, they're very warm and I am a cold-natured little thing. Last year, my cousin got one for Christmas, and I was admiring it, but I just couldn't bring myself to shell out the cash to get one of my own. Today however, I went up to the cabin to help my parents clean. They're getting ready to have some work done on the attic (finishing up the walls, which are now just framed in, and putting down flooring.) They wanted to clean some up there, and get rid of things that needed to be gotten rid of. Some of it was my stuff, so I went up to help out. We found a huge box of clothes, which was a regular walk down memory lane. My first band uniform, AND my first cheerleading uniform from 6th grade was in that box, as was the dress I wore the first day of school, my flower girl dress from my aunt and uncle's wedding and a couple of my t-shirts that I bought in Europe. We also found my mom's wedding dress and the outfit that my dad bought her their first Christmas together. Dad found a ton of stuff from his youth as well. And you wonder how I got to be such a sentimental schmuck/packrat. My parents save everything.

Mom lifted out this big, very heavy garment bag and said "hmm, wonder what's in here?" It was dad's dress Navy uniform, AND his government issue official Navy peacoat that he had from basic training in Great Lakes, IL!!! Seeing as my dad weighed 130 lbs when he joined the Navy (this was with him standing 6ft. tall...the guy was a beanpole), I thought "wonder if I could wear it?" I tried it on, practically holding my breath, because I WANTED that coat. The sleeves are a bit too long and come down over my hands, but through the waist and shoulders, it is a perfect fit. It's super heavy, has those cool Navy anchor buttons and says "US Navy" on the tag. Man, oh man, I am so friggin' proud of that thing! It comes down about mid-calf and will keep me incredibly warm. Naturally, after being closed up in a box for 43 years, it's a bit musty and there's a spot on the back that can hopefully be removed. But I'm taking it to the dry cleaners tomorrow and will see what they can do with it. Finding that coat absolutely made my day.
bluesilverkdg: (Default)
Has everyone just taken like an LJ sabbatical or something? Almost no one seems to be posting anymore and even fewer comments.

I'm "in class" right now. At the library. I'm taking three classes at ETSU this semester, one of which is Educational Psychology, and that's an online class. I think they may have finally gotten all the bugs worked out and we're taking a break right now. So I thought I'd write a bit. It's funny, the "class" is a combination Youtube video and chat room. One girl just posted "I need to take my dog out. BRB." I never thought I'd see such a thing in a college class.

One of the classes I'm taking is a literature class that I had before (when I was but a young lass of 20) and made a D in. Now I'm not making excuses (or maybe I am), but I would like to explain how this really was not my fault. I had a completely unreasonable professor who would assign hundreds (literally, hundreds) of pages to be read each night, and then give us a quiz on the most obscure facts. The guy I've got now appears to be a lot more rational and I've thus far been able to manage everything well. I even sported my dorkitude by piping up to contribute to almost everything he asked, much to the chagrin of my younger (and less enthusiastic) compadres.

Now I'm back to Ed Psych. (I first typed "Ed Psycho" which would probably be a good name for a movie villain.) We're "discussing" Piaget's stages of development. I could do this stuff in my sleep, so hopefully this will bode well for a good grade.

Speaking of my sleep, I must share this insane dream I had about Barrack Obama the other night. I dreamt that we were in bed (ummm, yeah?) and were apparently enjoying the afterglow. I was laying there with my head on his chest and I said something about seeing him again. He replied "now baby, you know I can't leave Michelle and the girls. I don't know when I can see you again, and you're just gonna have to wean yourself off me." WEAN MYSELF OFF HIM? Afterwards, we got up and started playing pool and foosball with his buddies, because we were apparently shacking up in some sort of governmental fraternity house. I used to have sexy dreams about Bill Clinton all the time, but the only dreams I ever had about Dubya were ones in which he was completely inept. Oh, no...that was real life!! Hah!

Anyway, I'm back to Mr. Ed Psycho now. We're moving on to Vygotsky's theory of cognitive development. W00t.
bluesilverkdg: (Migraine- Spock)
I was just thinking the other day that I've not had a "true" migraine (as in, full-blown) in probably a couple of months. In migraine years, that's like a lifetime, because I normally get at least a 2-3 per month, sometimes more. Well, I shouldn't have been thinking, because I now have been stricken. Or is that struck? Strucken?

It started yesterday afternoon, as a seemingly normal headache, but I soon felt it moving to the left side, which is my usual side for a migraine. I sedated myself and went to bed fairly early last night in hopes that it might go away. No such luck. This morning, it was back with a vengeance and had moved to the right side, which is never A Good Thing. If you are a migraine sufferer, you probably tend to get them on the same side of your head each time, but on the rare occasion that they strike the other side, you usually know you're in for a whopper, and not of the Burger King variety. I have felt like absolute death today. Seriously, death.

I'm out of Imitrex and have no hopes of scoring any at the moment. So I've been making up cocktails of Acetominophen and aspirin, which has done nothing but make me nauseous. I finally decided I needed a Coke, so I set out for the store to get one. I don't keep soda at my house, well..ever. Because if I did, I'd drink them. I so rarely have caffeine that when I DO have a migraine, I can use it to my benefit to treat it. I had some Excedrin Migraine in the car, which is basically the aforementioned cocktail of Acetominophen and aspirin, spiked with a dose of caffeine. I had two left, so I got the bright idea to take them in my car as I was drinking the Coke. I dropped one into the black hole under the seat of my car and never found it. Yay me.

So, now the pain seems to have dulled a bit, but my eye is all twitchy and I look like I'm up to something. As I was driving from the store, I could've sworn I saw a huge flock of birds go flying by, but upon closer inspection, I realized it was merely sky. Then I almost ran into a car going through the parking lot, but thankfully I narrowly avoided any bodily harm. I keep seeing things go flying in front of my eye which I think is a gnat, so I swat at it, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing really there. Once I start talking to myself, I will totally have the Crazy Homeless Lady act down. Oh wait, I already do that.

Man, it's been a day. A day that I'd really like to end.


bluesilverkdg: (Default)

January 2017

8 91011121314


RSS Atom

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 21st, 2017 05:05 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios